Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Shanghai

Shanghai – the Paris of the East; my home; the city I love. After my summer program ended, I flew out to Shanghai. The flight was less than two hours and I arrived before noon on Saturday. Immediately I went to visit some family friends for a surprise lunch, yes the Oved’s were quite shocked that I showed up on their doorstep but it was fun seeing them. After that, I went to Liat’s house. Liat is a childhood friend whose house I stayed in for the two weeks I was in town. I already miss her so much. She’s the best. We had way too much fun together! After two months of intense Chinese learning I finally had a break in a place I call home. Needless to say, I rested, slept a lot, and had an amazing time. I caught up on a lot of films including Harry Potter (thank you Liatie for tagging along even if you didn’t want to see it). I went shopping in the markets. I went to see an exhibition on Gaudi (like I mentioned this year is the year of Spain in China, so throughout China there are many exhibitions taking place – I also saw one exhibition in Beijing). I went to the Urban Planning museum where they had a special exhibition on the World Expo which was very red. For the first time ever, I rode the metro in Shanghai, which was nicer and less crowded than the one in Beijing. I visited the Yuyuan Garden, which had a facelift since I moved from Shanghai in 2001. There is even a Haagan Dazs and KFC inside the Garden shopping district. I also went to the Bund – what can I say. This place never ceases to amaze me. I walked along the Bund around 5pm all the way until the end because I was waiting for it to get dark. Finally at around 7pm they started turning on the lights and as I was walking along the bridge where on one side I saw all the European buildings from the 20s and 30s and on the other side of the river I could see modern, developing Pudong, it was just too perfect. If you ever go to Shanghai, you have to go to the Bund or as they call it in Chinese “Waitan.” In addition to just refreshing my memory, I also met with many people. I met my two ayis, which translates to “aunties,” -the two ladies who played a very important role in my life while I was growing up in China. One is Nina, who cooked for my family. Nina has a little girl called Paulina. I visited Nina twice at the house where she is currently working where I ate fantastic food; I also went one Monday afternoon to her house to have lunch with her and her daughter. Paulina and I later played Chinese sticks for a while. My other ayi, Xiao Zhen, took care of Annika and I. Xiao Zhen and I met on Nanjing Xilu where I used live in Shanghai Center and went to have lunch together at a good restaurant called the Spot. It was really nice to see both of my ayis again because they influenced me in many ways: they taught me how to play Chinese poker, they helped me with my Chinese, they helped me with my schoolwork, and they took excellent care of me while my parents were away. I am so grateful that they were a part of my life and I was able to spend some time with them in Shanghai. Every time I go back to Shanghai I always call them, and now that I’ll be in Beijing who knows I might see them sooner than I expected. I also met with Elan Oved and his family, very close family friends. I saw the Ohana’s who are also close family friends. I visited the Jewish community, I didn’t recognize any faces. Expats – always coming and going. I also saw the Johnson’s – well half of them. I spent some time with Isabella, Samuel, Sra. Lucy and Bill Johnson. I also grew up playing with his girls and our families have stayed in touch for years. It was a very heart warming experience to go back to Shanghai, feel at home, and spend some time with the people who made my life in Shanghai so wonderful. Plus I got to meet some new people. I met a lot of Liat’s friends and became close to my two new favorite buddies: Nick and Magnus. Nick will be coming to Beijing in October so I’ll see him soon, and I hope Magnus comes to visit me as well. Nina’s new employers are also extremely kind and had me over twice for dinner. How nice! My two weeks in Shanghai were amazing; it was very difficult to come back to Beijing.

Beijing vs. Shanghai
-If I had to pick, definitely Shanghai!!!
-In Shanghai, you can actually see the sky. Most of the time the sky is blue. Unlike in Beijing, where it is usually gray.
-Shanghainese are well-packaged. They don’t spit on the streets as much, they dress better, and they just seem to be more civilized. Beijing is like Shanghai ten years ago when I first lived in China. Shanghai at that time lacked the “culture” it has now. Shanghai is just a lot more Westernized and as a result the locals have it together better than the chaotic, disgusting, unhygienic Beijing scenes I encounter on a daily basis.
-Shanghainese are nice – I know, I know, many people say the opposite, but to me at least they are. I feel that in Beijing people are actually more arrogant because they know they live in the capital and as a result believe they have a higher status. I feel that in Beijing even if just one tone is off the Beijingers do not want to listen to you or help you. On the other hand, all the Shanghainese are really willing to help and are very impressed that any foreigner can speak Chinese. I guess I’m bias anyway, but I definitely vote for the Shanghainese!
-Shanghai is so rich in culture – don’t get me wrong, Beijing is the cultural center of China BUT if you want to see the interaction and mélange of East and West Shanghai is the place to go. You can visit the Old City, stroll around the Bund, and visit the French concession. While I was wandering I came across these houses/buildings that actually looked French. So being the explorer that I am when it comes to old architecture, I went inside. I wanted to cry. The floor still had the French tiles from the 20’s and 30’s when the houses were built. The staircase still had the same design from when it was originally constructed. I got the same feeling I get when I watch the Titanic – I’m so sad to see the glory, richness of the past gone. The Chinese have no idea of the significance of where they live. Where one family used to live, now live eight Chinese families. They spit on the tiled floor as if where nothing. This one house I went in had four stories of just beautiful wooden carvings and wooden floors. Now on the hallway of each floor there is a mini-kitchen. I was shocked, China, come on, really? Show some respect for history, for culture, for society. It is really hard for me to visit these places because I love architecture and to just see the lack of respect and appreciation the Chinese have for the places they live in, especially an ancient French mansion. I guess you can’t blame them because they don’t know any better, but still how can they do that? I’m glad that these buildings still exist because that’s how I know about Shanghai’s foreign past, but at the same time I also get very upset when I visit.









No comments: