Saturday, August 4, 2007

How to Survive in Beijing

Being in Beijing can definitely get you down sometimes. You are away from home, family, friends, the convenience of the USA, the cleanliness, the space, the fresh air, the blue sky, etc. There are times when I felt suffocated in Beijing - too much pollution, too many Chinese, too little foreigners, too little of what seems familiar. When this happens I know I need to get out, spend time with people I know, be with foreigners, and eat Western food. It is slowly getting better and I am adjusting to Beijing but when I get down, I find ways to work around those sad moments. Here are some things I've down to cheer me up.
Yale in Beijing - There are so many Yalies in Beijing!
Yale Club in Beijing. I went to their annual summer barbecue and met some of the Yale alum that are now living and working in Beijing. It was great to know that after the summer when most Yalies I know leave, there will still be some new faces to know and network with ;) At the BBQ I met some of my friends from when I was at Yale and we all eat a really good dinner together. After that there was the swimming competition between alums and students. We lost but there is always next year. I might have to start training now.
Yale Friends. I was really surprised by how many Yalies came to Beijing to study or work during the summer. While I was at Yale, I made many Chinese friends, which was great because I met up with them this summer. For instance, I went to the Moscow Restaurant to celebrate Yuefei's Birthday. Then, there was a CUSY (Chinese Undergraduate Students at Yale) dinner at Shinkong TianDi, a very nice, upscale mall. The CUSY members rented the VIP room where we had dinner. Yes, I was the only non-Chinese looking student there, but I had a lot of fun. I saw my old friends and met the new Chinese students who will be starting at Yale in fall. I also went shopping with my best friend Zhang Yue for a day. I went out for sushi with Yuefei. On the weekends when we go out, I meet a lot of friends from other programs who are studying Chinese or other students who are interning in the city. Meeting familiar faces has definitely made me feel more at home in Beijing.
Yale teacher visit. In July two Chinese teachers and other Yale staff toured Asia. My Chinese teacher from Yale came to see all her students and research the programs where we've all been studying. At Yale I was in the Heritage language track, which means I was the only non-Chinese in my class. I was taking Chinese with all Chinese-Americans. My professor was very supportive the whole year. When she came to visit us, I was really glad to see her. She was like our Chinese mother. My professor along with another Chinese teacher and another professor took us out for dinner at a Japanese restaurant near our school. We had such yummy sushi that I went back another day by myself to eat there again.
That's Beijing
My bible in Beijing. That's is a monthly magazine that has different sections on what is going on in Beijing - music and art events, lists of clubs, lists of doctors, lists of spas, and the most important section list of restaurants! I love this magazine. The section on food is divided by the different types of cuisine, so when I'm in the mood for Greek I can look under that section or I can look under Indian or American. There are just so many restaurants. Below the name of the restaurant is a small description of the place and food so I know what to expect. The best part is that many of these restaurants have lunch buffets or set lunches that are not expensive and very tasty. The magazine also helps me finds sights to go and see in Beijing. I wait every month for that magazine to come out.
Explore
The best thing that I've done in Beijing is actually see the city. I do prepare for class, but I don't spend all day in my dorm studying. I usually go out for lunch at one of the restaurants that I've read about in the magazine and then sightsee. Walking is great because it's not only a way of exercising, but you really get to see the city as well. Get out and eat, go out with your friends, explore the city! Beijing is my new home; I'll be living here for a year, so I might as well start liking it by seeing it. Also, when you are feeling tense, I recommend a massage. I’ve gone to Taipan Oriental, which is really close my school for an hour long relaxation massage. What can I say, I guess I’m starting to like Beijing a lot!
























No comments: